SEO Research and Market Research
What is SEO research? What is market research?
Online market research is the most important step for improving SEO. Without research, it is impossible to create proper content for each and every website. Even with the maximum on-page and off-page website optimization, content marketing cannot survive. SEO research is not related to market research conducted by large companies in order to solve a problem or build a successful sales strategy. SEO market research is essentially research to promote a website.
What are the differences between market research and SEO research?
The differences between market research and SEO research are:
1. Market research is a process of gathering information in order to help executives make the right decisions on a range of problems.
SEO research is a process of gathering information in order to help choose, create, enrich and promote the content of a website.
2. Market research aims to solve a company’s problems or find opportunities that may exist in the market.
SEO research aims to discover opportunities and possibilities that only exist on the internet.
3. Market research is conducted for businesses that wish to invest in the promotion of their products or services.
SEO research is conducted for businesses that wish to invest in promoting and optimizing their websites in order to increase their traffic.
4. In market research, information is used by marketeers to influence consumers’ attitudes and purchase behavior.
In SEO research, information is used to answer the questions asked by internet users in order to direct them to the desired website.
5. In market research, metrics are prone to being inaccurate and faulty due to the complexity of the characteristics they are trying to measure.
In SEO research, metrics are always accurate, as search engines record everything.
6. In market research, the information gathered is always inadequate for identifying business problems. This is due to the disadvantages of the secondary data, which is used in different studies – thus the need for further research and collection of primary data arises. Constant checks on the reliability of the data are also required.
In SEO research, the information gathered is sufficient both for promotion and for identifying website problems.
7. In market research, there is a risk of collecting incorrect data.
In SEO research, thanks to search engines, information is more specific.
8. The results of market research cannot always help marketeers make the right decisions.
The results of SEO research are always accurate because search engines record all the actual wishes and queries of the internet users.
9. Market research is used in order for large amounts of money to be invested primarily in advertising and marketing.
SEO research is used in order for the right amount of money to be invested in content creation and site optimization
When is market research important for a business?
Market research is important when:
1. A decision cannot be made due to lack of information.
2. Different solutions are equally appropriate and making a choice is impossible.
3. There is conflict within the business regarding goals, strategies or policies
4. The first signs of a problem arise, such as a reduction in market share.
5. A marketing strategy works efficiently and you want to know why so as improve it even further.
6. You do something completely different, like launching a whole new product, new market segment, pricing policy change or new packaging.
When is SEO research important?
SEO research is important before:
2. Creating and publishing any kind of content on a website.
3. Promoting the site through ads.
4. Proceeding to optimize the off-page elements of a website.
5. Selling a website.
6. Deleting and eliminating a website.
SEO research is also important when:
1. The site has low traffic.
2. The website promotion strategy was not effective.
3. Ads were not effective and did not increase traffic.
4. There are problems with the on- and off-page website optimization.
Which questions can market research answer?
Questions that market research answers:
1. Which consumers buy our products? Where do they live? What is their income? How many are they?
2. Is the market for our products increasing or decreasing? Are there new market segments we can access?
3. Can we access foreign markets?
1. Which packaging, out of several options, will be the most successful?
2. Which components are desirable?
1. How much should the product cost?
2. Should lower production costs lead to lower prices or to the development of a better product?
C. Distribution Channel:
1. Through which channels should the product be distributed?
2. What offers should we make to middlemen to promote the product?
1. How effective is advertising?
2. Which promotion strategy should be used?
1. What is our market share?
2. How satisfied are our customers?
3. What level of service do we provide?
4. What is our image in the market?
Which questions can SEO research answer?
Questions that SEO research answers:
1. Who is going to visit our website? Where are they located? How many people are they?
2. Are there enough web searches for the idea to be developed?
3. Can we get traffic to our website from other countries?
4. Who are our competitors and what are their promotion strategies?
1. What is the website’s content and how much is it going to cost?
2. Can the website’s content be optimized?
3. Can the website itself be optimized?
4. How much does the website cost?
1. Which promotional strategy are we going to adopt?
2. How much is the promotion of our website going to cost in total?
3. How effective is advertising?
1. How much traffic are we going to have?
2. How many visitors come back after visiting once?
3. What level of technology and service does our site have?
4. Which elements in our website deter visitors from visiting again?
5. Which parts of our content satisfy our visitors the most?
6. Overall SEO check on our website.
Which one is better after all, SEO Research or Market Research?
So, we come to the conclusion that both market research for a business and SEO research for a website are extremely necessary for their development and for solving their problems. Unfortunately, for many years now, big companies have only been investing in market research and in this way are trying to outperform smaller ones. On the other hand, small businesses spend recklessly large sums hoping that advertising will help them gain a bigger market share. As a result, SEO, as well as SEO research, remain unknown to most people. SEO can provide invaluable opportunities and there are many who praise it, having benefited from investing in it on a daily basis.
Adler, L., 1980. Secrets of when, and when not, to embark on a marketing research project. In: Sales and Marketing Management, 124, March, p. 103
Churchill, Gilbert A., JR. 1992 Basic Marketing Research 2nd ed., Fort Worth, TX: The Dryden Press, p.9