Website Building and Design
Today, building a website is essential for almost every business.
The necessity of the website depends on how much it will help a particular business to promote its products or services and not on the size of that business.
The advantages of building a business website.
The advantages of building a business website are as follows:
1.The possibility of a new type of advertising
Simpler and faster diffusion of a product or service.
Cost reduction due to eliminating expensive and outdated brand awareness methods such as distributing leaflets.
2. Creation of a new and different channel for the distribution of products or services
Personalized advertising messages and targeted ads with the use of special filters.
3. Customer database creation
Creation of a contact-consumer list.
4. Additional possibilities in customer communication
Continuous information and communication on a 24-hour basis.
5. New customer service methods
Serving many customers at the same time.
6. Possibility of expansion into foreign countries and new markets
Advertisements and sales without borders.
7. Reduction of production and personnel costs
Automation of tasks and services.
8. Positive influence on the company’s public image
A website enhances a company’s profile and reputation.
9. Targeted marketing
Behavior analysis of digital (online) customers.
10. Digital consumer behavior analysis
Measurable results through digital tools and platforms.
11. New market conditions in favor of the consumer that lead to smarter purchases:
– Faster and easier product comparison process
– Transparency in sales
– Minimization of transaction time between vendors and consumers
– Free shipping of products
– Provision of information on each product or service
12. Brand awareness through traffic (brand building)
More possibilities and additional methods for increasing brand awareness.
All the above-mentioned advantages contribute to overall sales growth.
A Business’s Website Goals
A business’s website goals are:
– To provide information to its visitors
– To constantly inform its visitors about any changes, special privileges, competitions, offers, etc.
– To attract and maintain visitors’ interest by creating incentives (for purchases)
– To drive more traffic to the company’s physical store
– To gain visitors’ trust in order to encourage them to buy a product or service
– To create brand awareness through online traffic
The most important factors in building a website
The most important factors that influence the construction of a website are:
1. SEO research and market research (Read more).
2. Website management and development
Website management and development includes:
– Compliance with the laws and rules of the internet
– Constant updates and technical upgrades
– Updates so that the website evolves with the business
3. Web Design
4. Web Hosting.
Principles of proper design and construction of a business website
The principles of proper design and construction of a business website are the following:
Organization of website elements based on visual perception.
2. Readability (“Golden Ratio” method)
Readable text content, font, size, etc.
3. Correct presentation of the visual elements and graphics
Fonts, colors, etc.
4. Proper placement of graphics and ads
Visitors should be able to focus undisturbed wherever they want.
Use of rule of thirds.
5. Uncluttered homepage
The homepage should be clear and easy.
6. Responsive design
Web pages should render well on a variety of devices such as smartphones and tablets.
7. User experience (UX)
How enjoyable is the user experience?
How familiar are users with the website?
User interface (UI).
9. Visual consistency
Creating a sense of familiarity in the users during their navigation of the website.
How easy it is to use the website.
Clarity and transparency in customer service.
Honesty about products and services.
Utilization of usability testing with tools to evaluate user understanding.
The webpage must be secure (HTTPS security encryption) and have an SSL certificate.
Better website loading speed is achieved by optimization.
15. Optimization score
The website must be fully optimized.
The website must be compatible with multiple browsers (cross-browser compatibility).
Regular updates and website upgrades.
17. Easy identification of the company or the freelancers behind the website
Real and reliable “about us” page on the website.
Ease of use – with just a few clicks of the mouse the users can find what they are looking for.
Use of Fitts’s Law.
Users must be able to search for desired content (search bar).
Tags and navigation must be in the same place on every page.
20. Ease of shopping
Proper use of filters and options using, for instance, the method of Hick’s Law.
21. Visibility of contact details
Contact details should be easy to locate on the website.
22. Prompt response to any form of communication
24-hour live chat support, chatbot or e-mailing.
23. Call to action – CTA
Τhe more important the link, the more visible its location should be on the website.
Install buttons such as “buy now” in a prominent position and in a different color.
The most important factors that make a website sustainable
The most important factors that make a website sustainable are:
- Website user engagement.
- Online value proposition.
- Interaction and interactivity.
1. Website user engagement
Website user engagement depends on:
– Social interaction
– The user’s emotional state and excitement
– Τhe user’s conscious choice
All of the above help a website earn its visitors’ trust.
2. Online Value Proposition
The online value proposition is the value that the site promises to give its visitors if they become customers – in other words, after their purchase.
It is not simply a company’s proposition but also a promise for additional unique benefits that follow the online purchase.
It raises questions such as: Who are we? What else do we offer? How do we differ?
An online value proposition is achieved when:
– The product or service has a competitive advantage.
– The benefits for the customers are mentioned clearly.
– The value proposition is clear.
– The website provides free information on its products and their use.
– The website provides unique privileges to its users such as special offers, coupons, etc.
The online value proposition should be located in a central or highly visible spot of the website that will attract visitors’ attention the moment they enter the website.
3. Interaction and interactivity
Interaction is a kind of action between humans or between humans and objects – characterized as “entities” – when a piece of information is transferred between them.
Interactivity is a multidimensional concept that aims to boost the visitor’s engagement with the website. It is defined as a mutual exchange of action between humans and objects. Interactivity is also a form of communication. It is directly affected by the evolution of technology and by familiarizing users with the number and types of interactive elements.
Interaction can be boosted with the help of the following:
– User comments
– Social interaction (information sharing on social media)
– Live chat installation
– Ability to fill out a form (communication, reservation, registration form etc.)
– Conducting of online surveys
– Guest posts
Interactive website design
Interactive website design is very important because it increases sales and enhances the website’s sustainability. Interactivity achieves the following:
– Τhanks to visitors’ positive sentiment, their confidence is increased.
– Personalization is improved. That is, behaviors are analyzed and metrics measure visitors’ interaction. This way, users are presented with the desired information. In other words, they are automatically led to what they are looking for.
– Slowly and steadily backlinks increase, and so does website traffic.
– User experience improves. Users stay longer on the website and website traffic once again increases.
– Gradually the correct website content strategy is developed.
Each web page should provide the appropriate level of interactivity so that it does not distract the visitors.
Website building criteria
Website building and design is a science.
“Beginners” are looking for ways to build their website themselves for free.
There are websites that cost $200 to build whereas others cost several thousand dollars.
Small businesses lack knowledge and thus always get ranked on the last page of search engines. The bigger ones, on the other hand, due to their experience, have a competitive advantage when it comes to the interactive design of their websites and successful advertising campaigns, and thus enjoy all the privileges that a top-of-the-first-page ranking has to offer.
Before you decide to build your next website, remember:
“Price is what you pay. Value is what you get.” (Warren Buffett)